AUGUST 2019 at the SALON

Living a Making
presented by tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE


"Living a Making" is, I hope obviously, a reversal of Making a Living.  The idea is that while I've had to make a living my whole adult life I've always tried to live a little while working so that my whole life wasn't stolen away from me in economic servitude.  I've f**ked at work (not shown here).  I was born in Baltimore City but my family moved to the beginnings of the suburbs, which were still pretty rural at the time.  In order to buy Mad Magazine & comic books, I'd walk the mile to the nearest small town, which was, itself, close to the Baltimore City limits, & pick up bottles along the way that I could get refunds for.  So maybe my 1st job could be called recycling — although in the early 1960s, when I was doing this, the idea of recycling hadn't reached my ears yet.  I mowed lawns & babysat.  I worked construction, was a research volunteer, an artists' model, a hardwood floor finisher, a driver, a peep show mechanic, a book store worker & owner, a copy shop employee, a hot air balloon ground crew member, a film repairer, a teacher for the functionally illiterate, a projectionist, a museum exhibit installer, a guest lecturer at universities, & a myriad of other things.  Throughout it all, I tried to have a good time & to approach the work with a political consciousness.  This movie documents 40 years' worth of materials from my playful relationship to work.  Most of the time I was too busy doing what I was doing to document it but there's still plenty here.  At the end of it all, I'm still poor but I think I can truly look back on a life well-lived.  Of course, my life wasn't spent entirely at work either.  Most of it was spent doing exactly what I wanted to do: living in accordance with my imagination.  I hope this movie helps inspire other people to do the same.  
                 - February 6, 2019 notes from tENTATIVELY, a cONVENIENCE

Monday, August 26  
6:30p Food & Social
7:00p Screening & Discussion

Glitterbox Theater
460 Melwood Avenue (in the Bloomcraft Building), Pittsburgh
Donations graciously accepted

Comments